Sunday, March 16, 2014

Test Prep=More than One Answer?

I thought Brandi's tweet went perfectly with this post! 

My favorite part of my job last week was getting to have lunch with one of the most amazing educators I have ever met. Gayla Wiggins, from Lead4Ward is brilliant! She is one of those people that makes good instruction seem so simple and make so much sense at the same time. Every time I have the chance to visit with her I try to soak up every minute and reflect on every word! Here is what I have been thinking about after discussing state assessments with her:

It's so hard to understand that the best way to prepare students for a multiple choice test, is to encourage them that there is not "one right answer".

When we ask our students to truly comprehend, think and connect to their reading it will and should look very different for each student.  The same is often true with problem solving. That is why it's crucial to model many different ways to comprehend and connect with text, or solve a problem.  Even better...we can allow the students to share their thinking. Every time I stop myself from doing the thinking and talking long enough to give students the opportunity to think and share... I am completely AMAZED! Those little boogers sure can "out think" me when I allow them the time and the chance!
When you think about even adult readers and problem solvers, we all comprehend, think and connect very differently as well. I love that the many different thoughts and connections we have as adults allow us to collaborate, learn and come up with much better solutions than what we would independently. It seems only fair to give students the same opportunity! There is so much to learn and enjoy from finding personal connections all around! It is what connects us to each other, the world and the power of meaningful thinking!
I would love to hear your thoughts:
Why would instruction that promotes more than one answer better prepare students for state multiple choice assessment?
How do we create readers that are deep thinkers?
How do we create math students that understand not only HOW to work a problem, but more importantly WHY they are working it that way?
How do we encourage students to learn which strategies help them comprehend and problem solve?
How do we promote personal connections that show students the benefit of thinking deeply?
What should the teacher/student thinking and sharing ratio look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment